Tuesday, August 16, 2011

hoosier daddy

so last night i blogged about the good and bad and love and hate i have for my current home. i wanted to share the love and brag on my real home tonight.

my fam moved back and forth a number of times between northern indiana and northern california. i was born in indiana though and went to school from grades 6-12 there, so it's where i'm from if you ask me. the majority of our family is still up there and so we find ourselves up that way at least a couple of times a year.

i adore our little corner of the midwest. you may say it's flat - i say you can see more of the sunsets and sunrises. i love that there's such a small town feel. it's the sort of place you could sleep with your doors unlocked. i love the lakes and the dark night skies that let you see millions of stars. i miss real big snow storms and also with that, the fact that life goes on even if 4 inches of snow has fallen.

home is where i learned to drive, took the SAT, had my first crush, spent so many summers laying in the sun, discovered the Lord, took piano lessons (and guitar and saxophone), stalked Jars of Clay, got my first buzz on a pack of Mike's Hard Lemon aid, enjoyed the holidays snuggled up with family, voted in my first presidential election, adopted my sweet tilly dog, joined 4H, became class president, and a cheerleader, and an office aid, and a baseball/basketball manager, and yearbook, and worship team manager, and band geek, and choir geek (yeah, i was a little overly involved back then)...

someday i want to move back and have a little house on a lake and landscape the place like none other. i want to take nuggie to the festival of the trees. i want her to go to a real county fair, i want her to see amish buggies traveling along with cars, i want her to be able to go to the public pool with her friends and be safe as can be.

i will always have a soft spot in my heart for my little patch of indiana. this is the first summer we've not made it up for a visit and it makes me very sad. i'll always be a hoosier :-)


1 comment:

Shannon said...

Aww... I LOVE this post :o) Indiana misses you too!